Wednesday 25 November 2009

Self-Evaluation: Roisin

I am very proud of our preliminary task, and i'm sure everyone else is! I believe that we have created a simple, yet unique fit to the brief. Mixing our new skills with a new genre that none of us have worked on before was very interesting...and enjoyable! First of all, I am very very happy that I managed to work within a group that I felt comfortable with; as that was a large factor during GCSE - I never managed to express my view or feel confident in my ideas. Initially, I felt very nervous about the fairly big leap from GCSE to A Level, but now I have a greater understanding of how much effort must be put into this course, even in a preliminary task...therefore I definitely look forward to bigger projects!

It's very satisfying (as Jade mentioned) to look at our pre-preliminary task and notice how far we have come when it comes to editing. The continuity is much better than previous projects I have worked on, and although it is not perfect, it gives me a chance to understand better how we can make future projects flow.

What Did I Know Before?
My skills from GCSE media generally revolve around the equipment and technology elements. I always understood the terminology; match on action, 180degree rule etc. and could tell you the definitions easily; however these had never been put ino practice. I knew how to use GarageBand (I have a music GCSE - And used GarageBand for coursework) and although it seemed quite daunting at first; I managed to create a very simple piece by slotting together various different sounds; with the help with the rest of the group!! I knew a lot about the audience we were appealing to and the conventions within the genre from previous in-class discussions and essay writing about 'Skins', as well as being a fan!

What I Know Now...
I have learnt a lot in this short period of time. As I mentioned before, I have learnt what it's like to be part of a group that listens and reflects on ideas, instead of always being too shy to give any input (that sounds very sad i know!) I now understand how to put all the terminology I have learnt into practice, as well as learning new things; which definitely make filming and editing a more enjoyable process!

In relation to feedback we received from our class; I feel we could've improved our preliminary task in many different ways. After watching countless times, it becomes obvious that the cuts and transitions are good in some places, but could be perfected. The insert of me before rachel sits down opposite me seems jumpy and misplaced; however, before we included that insert the shots between did not fit at all, and our main focus at the beginning of the editing process was to make the continuity as perfect as possible. We tried extremely hard to fit our task to the brief set, and I believe we achieved it, with a few minor errors including the sound levels and smooth cuts.

Overall I am very proud of not only our finished work, but also of our group, I definitely think we have bonded well and understood what we wanted/needed to take out of this experience, and by helping each other we have achieved that!

No comments:

Post a Comment