Thursday 18 November 2010

Previous Student Example Analysis (Long Road Media) - "Rock Boys"


What did I like about this music video?

  • I thought that the first montage of images worked very effectively and were cleverly put together so that the images merged into one and other seamlessly; particulary the street lamp fading into the lines of traffic.
  • The placement of the drumkit in the middle of the field was another aspect I liked as it created almost a 'rustic' quality to the production which complemented the song perfectly.
  • I also liked the style of the performance based close-up. The use of a white backing screen and manipulation of colour contrasts in post production gave this section a look of professionalism.

What did I dislike?

  • Because the group chose to film at dusk or in the dark, the harshness of the car headlights sometimes caused the camera to blur or become unfocused. There were also moments when the footage became very grainy, which hindered the overall finish of the music video.
  • The behaviour of the extras at some points in the music video also made it look slightly amaturist. I didn't 'dislike' this as such, but just thought that it hindered the 'slick' quality the video could have achieved.

What would I like to avoid in my own Music Video?

  • The first thing I've learnt is that it is vital to monitor lip syncing! There is a mishap during one of the close-up performances that causes the music to play faster than her lips are moving, and this is something I am VERY keen to avoid. Unfortunately, that one seemingly harmless mistake can throw the entire production off course.
  • Looking at this video I would also refrain from shooting in the dark, as doing so is severly detrimental to the look of the footage and can make the images very grainy.

How has this video inspired me?

  • This video has shown me that having a running theme throughout- no matter how small or subtle -is very effective in creating a sense of collectiveness and recognisable image. It ties the whole production together and so is something that I would like to focus heavily on in our own music video.
  • It has also prompted me to think seriously about the variety of shot types, movement and angles we need to include in our music video to keep each frame fresh and in-keeping with the rhythm of the song.
  • Lastly, this video has inspired me to strongly consider using an HD camera to shoot our video in order to achieve the slick, professional finish we desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment