Thursday 18 November 2010

Previous Student Example Analysis - "Santigold"



What did I like about the Music Video?
  • I found the use of dramatic costume and make-up extremely effective in making the video visually dynamic and entertaining. The effort that the group has put into the asthetic qualities really shines through, and this in turn engages the audience and adds a professional, theatrical element to the video.
  • I also liked the quirky graphics and moments of stop motion as I think they match the song very well.

What did I dislike?

  • I didn't like the lack of an identifible narative or subliminal thread in the video. However, considering the style and genre of the song, perhaps this was the best-fitting/most conventional route to take.

What would I avoid?

  • Again, there were a few moments in this video where lip-syncing posed an issue and this is obviously something our group wishes to avoid at all costs! There were also some points where the performer was clearly miming to the words rather than actually singing them; this in turn threw some sequences out of touch with the lyrics.

What would I include?

  • This music video has shown me that making an effort to pay extra attention to cosmetic details can dramatically enhance the overall finish of the production.
  • I really like the amount of inserts and cut-aways in this music video. Therefore, it has inspired me to ensure that we shoot more footage than we will ever actually need so that we have the freedom to intercut between different shots without worrying about running out or dirsrupting certain performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment